Introduction & Scope
The Personal Information that Prefera Collects
We collect and maintain different types of personal information in respect of the individuals with whom we interact. Before permitting to use and access the Website and/or the Services, we may require you to provide us with certain personal information. For example, we collect information when you choose to create an account and use our Services, participate in any of our offers, promotions, programs and other initiatives, contact us or otherwise provide your personal information to us for any other purpose. The types of personal information that we collect include: (a) your contact and identification information, such as your name, address, phone number, email address, social insurance number and other similar information; (b) your financial information, such as you credit information, banking information, credit card number, credit score, debit card number, payment history and other similar information; (c) your location and demographic information, such as your date of birth and age; and (d) other additional information concerning the products and services that we provide to, or receive from you, including reviews, comments and feedback that you provide regarding our Website and Services.
Prefera may also collect information related to your visit to our Website, including including the IP address, the device domain used to access our Website, the operating system on your device, your device settings, application IDs the type and version of your browser, crash data, other unique device identifiers, the website you came from to access our Website, the page you entered and exited at, any website page within our Website that is viewed by your IP address and what country you are from. We use this information to monitor our website’s performance (such as number of visits, average time spent, page views) and for our business purposes such as working to continually upgrade our Website and Services offerings.
We may place a “cookie” on the hard drive of your computer to track your visit. A cookie is a small data file that is transferred to your hard drive through your web browser that can only be read by the website that placed the cookie on your hard drive. The cookie acts as an identification card and allows our Website to identify you and to record your passwords and preferences. The cookie allows us to track your visit to the Website so that we can better understand your use of our Website so that we can customize and tailor the Website to better meet your needs. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies. However, on most web browsers you may change this setting to have your web browser either: (i) notify you prior to a website placing a cookie on your hard drive so that you can decide whether or not to accept the cookie; or (ii) automatically prevent the placing of a cookie on your hard drive. It should be noted that if cookies are not accepted, you may not be able to access a number of web pages found on the Website.
As a general rule, Prefera collects personal information directly from you. In most other circumstances where the personal information that we collect about you is held by a third party, we will obtain your permission before we seek out this information from such sources (such permission may be given directly by you or implied from your actions).
From time to time, we may utilize the services of third parties and may also receive personal information collected by those third parties in the course of the performance of their services for us or otherwise. Where this is the case, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that such third parties have represented to us that they have the right to disclose your personal information to us.
Why does Prefera Collect Personal Information?
We only collect the necessary information from you to provide you with our Services, access our Website and which enables us to manage, maintain and develop our operations. For example, we collect personal information to:
- establish, maintain and manage our relationship with you so that we may provide you with, or receive from you, the Services that have been requested, including the extension, maintenance and/or renewal of credit;
- enable you to register, access and maintain an account with us and otherwise use the Website;
- allow you to participate in, subscribe to or otherwise receive Services from us, including with respect to any merchant through which you have arranged financing;
- determine your eligibility for our Services as well as your creditworthiness;
- keep records of the Services requested by and/or provided to you;
- be able to review the Services that we provide to you so that we may: (a) understand your requirements for our Services; and (b) work to improve our Services;
- be able to comply with your requests (for example, if you prefer to be contacted at a business or residential telephone number and advise us of your preference, we will use this information to contact you at that number);
- understand your preferences and tailor offers, products and services to you based on these preferences;
- send information to you about promotions, products or services of ours or our marketing partners that we believe may be of interest to you;
- protect Prefera against error, fraud, theft and damage to our goods and property;
- conduct analysis and evaluations to understand usage and trends in order to improve our Services, products, services and marketing communications;
- meet regulatory or contractual requirements relating to the Services provided to you;
- enable us to comply with applicable laws or regulatory processes; and
- any other reasonable purpose to which you consent.
By consenting to our collection of your personal information through your access to and use of the Website and Services, you allow us to fulfill the purposes for which we collect your personal information. When we collect your information for research and development purposes, we ensure that any information used for our analysis and reports will be de-identified and aggregated in a manner that will not identify you.
How Prefera uses your Personal Information
We may use your personal information without your knowledge or consent where we are permitted by applicable law.
We do not sell, license, trade or rent personal information to third parties for the purposes of soliciting you for non-Prefera products or services.
We will collect your express consent to our contacting you with any electronic marketing messages. You will have the opportunity to opt out at any time.
When does Prefer Disclose Personal Information?
- We share personal information with credit bureaus and credit reporting agencies to provide information to them about your credit obligation with us.
- We may disclose personal information to a third-party if a law, regulation, search warrant, subpoena or court order legally requires or authorizes us to do so, including for example, in the event of payment default to collect on our debts and to realize our security interests.
- In the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale (including a liquidation, realization, foreclosure or repossession), lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance or financing of all or any portion of Prefera or of any of the business or assets or shares of Prefera or a division thereof, we may share personal information in order for you to continue to receive the same products and services from the third party.
Otherwise, we do not disclose your personal information without your consent unless we are permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements to do so.
Your Consent is Important to Us
You may withdraw your permission to collect, use and disclose your personal information at any time, subject to legal and contractual restrictions required in respect of fulfilling your obligation under any agreement with us and under the circumstances noted above and by allowing reasonable notice period.
We will not, as a condition of the supply of a product or service, require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information beyond that required to fulfill the explicitly specified purposes for which the information is being provided.
Retaining and Storing Personal Information
We will only keep your personal information as long as it is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected or as required by law, and your consent to such purposes remains valid after termination of our relationship with you
Security of Your Personal Information
Prefera is responsible for all personal information in our possession at our places of business or stored electronically, including information transferred to a third-party service provider or business partner in connection with servicing your account. Prefera will endeavour to maintain physical, technical and procedural safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information in question. These safeguards are designed to prevent your personal information from loss and unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or destruction. The steps that Prefera takes to protect your personal information include the following:
- All employees, business partners and authorized service providers of Prefera are required to protect the confidentiality of your personal information and are prohibited from using your personal information for any purpose other than to provide the Prefera services to you.
- Prefera has developed and are continuing to enhance security procedures to safeguard and protect personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized disclosure, copying, access, use or modification.
- Prefera maintains appropriate safeguards and security procedures that reflect the types of documents, including electronic or paper records, and sensitivity of the information, organizational measures including security clearances and limiting access on a “need-to-know” basis, and technological measures such as the use of passwords and encryption.
- When we destroy personal information, we will use safeguards to prevent unauthorized parties from gaining access to the information during the process.
The security of your personal information is important to us, please advise our Privacy Officer immediately of any incident involving the loss of or unauthorized access to or disclosure of personal information that is in our custody or control.
Updates to Personal Information
It is important that the information contained in our records is both accurate and current. If your personal information happens to change during the course of our relationship, please keep us informed of such changes.
In some circumstances we may not agree with your request to change your personal information and will instead append an alternative text to the record in question.
Access to Personal Information
You can ask to see your personal information. If you want to review, verify or correct your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer. Please note that any such communication must be in writing.
When requesting access to your personal information, please note that we may request specific information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access, as well as to search for and provide you with the personal information that we hold about you. We may charge you a fee to access your personal information; however, we will advise you of any fee in advance. If you require assistance in preparing your request, please contact our Privacy Officer.
Your right to access the personal information that we hold about you is not absolute. There are instances where applicable law or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide some or all of the personal information that we hold about you. In addition, the personal information may have been destroyed, erased or made anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices. In the event that we cannot provide you with access to your personal information, we will endeavour to inform you of the reasons why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
Links to Third Party Websites
Our Website may contain links to other websites that may be subject to less stringent privacy standards. These links are provided for your convenience only and you assume all risk for clicking these links to other websites. We cannot assume any responsibility for the privacy practices, policies or actions of the third parties that operate these websites. Prefera is not responsible for how such third parties collect, use or disclose your personal information. You should review the privacy policies of these websites before providing them with personal information.
Questions and Complaints
You may register a privacy-related complaint by contacting Prefera’s privacy officer as described below. We will explain Prefera’s complaint procedure to you and investigate all complaints. If a complaint is justified, we will take all appropriate steps to set the situation right, including changing our policies and practices if necessary. We will also let you know what other complaint procedures may be available to you.
For More Information
**If you choose to communicate with us via email, please be aware that email is not a 100% secure medium for sending any personal or confidential information to us.**